The UK Radio & Television Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pirate Radio From The 60s & 70s And Where Are They Now

+2
big ron
Admin
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Pirate Radio From The 60s & 70s And Where Are They Now Empty Pirate Radio From The 60s & 70s And Where Are They Now

Post  Admin Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:35 am

Whith so many pirate offshore stations around in the 60s & 70s has anyone got memories of those days.

With Caroline on the internet & sky, and Big l only on internet do you listen to those stations.

Admin
Admin

https://ukmedia.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Pirate Radio From The 60s & 70s And Where Are They Now Empty Re: Pirate Radio From The 60s & 70s And Where Are They Now

Post  big ron Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:30 am

Yah, I remember the pirates. pirat Allways wished I was one myself, bobbing about on the waves playing them tunes. I sometimes still listen to caroline on the net, sometimes I like to listen to the odd album track. As for the other one big l is it really connected to the pirate station radio london. I think the answer to that would have to be `NO`
It may play tunes from the 50s 60s and 70s but thats just about that. How many other internet stations do the same.

big ron

Back to top Go down

Pirate Radio From The 60s & 70s And Where Are They Now Empty Re: Pirate Radio From The 60s & 70s And Where Are They Now

Post  steve Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:48 am

I listen to caroline most weekends on SKY. Good station, No frills, just music.
steve
steve

Back to top Go down

Post  pete best Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:10 am

I remember caroline and london from the 60s. Used to listen on my little radio my dad got me one birthday.
Also radio england and city, dont remember how many.
Your right big ron about big l though, its nothing to do with pirate radio. It was started up some time in 2005 and has nothing to do with the real radio london. They play the old big l jingles but thats all they have in common. I dont think its as good as other stations you can find on the web. I listened for a short while the other week and it wasn`t all that good.

pete best

Back to top Go down

Post  steve Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:19 am

I found the Big l support site and it looked to me that they was all living in the past. Longing for the 60s to return and thinking that Big l was broadcasting from the sea. Someone should tell its supporters that its 2009 and not 1966.
steve
steve

Back to top Go down

Post  tinker Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:13 pm

steve wrote:I found the Big l support site and it looked to me that they was all living in the past. Longing for the 60s to return and thinking that Big l was broadcasting from the sea. Someone should tell its supporters that its 2009 and not 1966.
Nothing wrong in supporters supporting a station. Im sure they are not waiting for " 1966 to return" they just like the station, nothing wrong in that. I say good luck to them.

tinker

Back to top Go down

Post  steve Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:57 pm

tinker wrote:
steve wrote:I found the Big l support site and it looked to me that they was all living in the past. Longing for the 60s to return and thinking that Big l was broadcasting from the sea. Someone should tell its supporters that its 2009 and not 1966.
Nothing wrong in supporters supporting a station. Im sure they are not waiting for " 1966 to return" they just like the station, nothing wrong in that. I say good luck to them.
Nothing wrong in supporting a station as long as you realise its just a station and not a way of life.
steve
steve

Back to top Go down

Post  tinker Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:35 am

steve wrote:
tinker wrote:
Nothing wrong in supporting a station as long as you realise its just a station and not a way of life.

Steve;Have you ever listened to BIG L, its not a bad internet station, they do play the music that some people like.

tinker

Back to top Go down

Post  ken Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:08 am

Ooh, a hot discussion about the Big L station, lovely. On the times I used to listen on the radio it was very good. The afternoon slot was always lively and full of audience participation. That was when it was on A.M. Dont know what its like now its lost its A.M transmitter.
As for its supporters, I dont think they have many, maybe about a handful at the most.
ken
ken

Back to top Go down

Post  steve Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:03 pm

I dont know why we`re even devoting a thread to this `non-important` station.
Caroline which I do listen to, is much more superior. Even Caroline supporters do more for its station.
All Big l is now is an average internet station, the same as 1000s of others.
steve
steve

Back to top Go down

Post  ken Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:18 am

Well in a way I agree, they cant have many listeners but the few they have got are very loyal.
A little too loyal if you ask me, they treat it more like a religion than a radio station.

In answer to steve, why are we talking about this station. Have you seen all the other forums, they all seem to
talk about big l. I think the reason for this is because its a bit of a joke station.
ken
ken

Back to top Go down

Post  tinker Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:13 am

steve wrote:I dont know why we`re even devoting a thread to this `non-important` station.

Big l may not be of interest to some people but may be interesting to some.
Some may like Caroline and some may like Big l. Not everyone likes the same thing.

And as for it being a "JOKE STATION" I dont understand how a station can be classed as that.
A lot of people really love it.

tinker

Back to top Go down

Post  steve Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:27 am

Tinker listen to this. You may understand what I ment.
http://www.anorak.nildram.co.uk/listen/newplayer.htm
Its got real dj`s playing the music not a computer.
steve
steve

Back to top Go down

Post  tinker Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:35 am

Yeh, but look at all the "real" support Caroline has. The amount of money they can raise.
Big l hasn`t got any money, so they cant pay djs to play the music.

tinker

Back to top Go down

Post  steve Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:59 am

tinker wrote:Yeh, but look at all the "real" support Caroline has. The amount of money they can raise.
So if thats the case they should close up completely or just run it as an average internet station and not pretend its a real radio station.
I understand where your coming from Tinker but you really must get real. A station playing nonstop music without DJs is just an average internet station.
steve
steve

Back to top Go down

Post  pete best Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:34 am

I think you must remember one thing. The people who work on Caroline are doing it without pay.
From the DJs to the engineers. You really cant compare Caroline with Big l. Two different stations.
Even the supporters are not the same. People contribute hard cash to Caroline, where as Big l is
totally on their own. With the amount of supporters Big l has its a wonder its lasted this long.

pete best

Back to top Go down

Post  ken Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:07 am

steve wrote:
tinker wrote:Yeh, but look at all the "real" support Caroline has. The amount of money they can raise.
So if thats the case they should close up completely or just run it as an average internet station and not pretend its a real radio station.
I understand where your coming from Tinker but you really must get real. A station playing nonstop music without DJs is just an average internet station.
Ooh Steve, a little harsh if you dont mind me saying, Surprised but hay,ho everyone has the right to say what he thinks.
ken
ken

Back to top Go down

Post  steve Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:25 am

pete best wrote: With the amount of supporters Big l has its a wonder its lasted this long.

Easy. Its run from someones bedroom. How much does it cost to keep something like that going.

It should have closed up last year when it lost the backing and lost the A.M transmitter.
They are now doing something on short wave. Just a couple of "Look at me`s" playing at broadcasting.

Harsh ?. I dont think so. but if you do thats your hard luck.
steve
steve

Back to top Go down

Post  pete best Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:06 pm

With all due respect Steve, Big l does give some listeners a lot of pleasure.

The great difference between Caroline and Big l is that the music you hear
on Caroline is truly not heard anywhere else, what other station plays only
album tracks these days.
Unlike Big l`s music you can hear on a lot of internet stations.
My view on this is if Big l never had the old pirate Big l jingles
would the supporters still support this very small station.

pete best

Back to top Go down

Post  steve Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:52 am

pete best wrote:With all due respect Steve, Big l does give some listeners a lot of pleasure.

What amuses me are the supporters. They still think its a pirate station. Someone should tell them its not.
Pleasure comes in all forms and this isn`t one of them. What is so special in this station, please answer.
It cant be the music, because as someone else said, you can find 60s/70s music anywhere these days.
Is it the jingles, not sure maybe.
Is it the DJs, a very big NO to that, they haven`t got any. Only one and he`s useless. So please answer.
Come on, call me harsh again.
steve
steve

Back to top Go down

Post  pete best Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:08 pm

Steve, I aint going to call you harsh, your saying what you think, but you must remember one thing.

Caroline is supported world wide by a very real and wealthy fan base. Thats how they can be on Sky , Freesat and
the internet.
Thats also how they can promote themselves in many other ways, they also have a Google Gadget to put on
peoples desk tops, that alone must cost a lot.

Big L has no real support base. Just a few supporters who are more interested in having fun and games on the support site, and thinking Big L is still a pirate station.
The two lots of supporters are not the same. Thats why Caroline has done so well and will be around for a very long time
The two stations are no way the same.

pete best

Back to top Go down

Post  tinker Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:19 am

Why must we keep on banging on about the big l station.

They play some good music and a lot of people like it.

tinker

Back to top Go down

Post  steve Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:11 am

Tinker me ol` mate,you really should understand what a forum is for. Not everyone will agree with other peoples views.
I have asked aswell why we keep on talking about this station and if this thread would stop, I for one would be pleased.
But as another member posts something about it you really cant blame us for following up the thread. It "is" a forum.
steve
steve

Back to top Go down

Post  ken Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:28 am

steve wrote:Tinker me ol` mate,you really should understand what a forum is for. Not everyone will agree with other peoples views.
I have asked aswell why we keep on talking about this station and if this thread would stop, I for one would be pleased.
But as another member posts something about it you really cant blame us for following up the thread. It "is" a forum.
I suppose your right Steve, you have your views and your sticking with them.
I`ve been listening to the stations Caroline and Bigl, and I must say that
Caroline wins hands down, Big l just plays non-stop music that your able to
listen to on 1000s of other internet stations.
ken
ken

Back to top Go down

Post  ken Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:56 am

Ooh,Ooh,
Now I heard they are going to start something called Radio One Gold,on all platforms,
With about ten old radio one jocks. If they do this will be a shot in the arm for radio.
ken
ken

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next